Smart and savvy companies are using the Internet, e-mail, social media, and other technological tools to get the word out. They should, because these tactics work. However, ignoring direct mail is a mistake, because it still works, and can be a valuable part of your communications mix.
- Direct mail still works because people still read their mail.
- Nearly 100% of American households still check their mailbox on a daily basis
- Many people that do are disappointed when nothing arrives on a particular day.
- People like to get mail.
- Direct mail works because it is targeted.
Direct mail also creates a huge challenge for your company, because if it isn’t designed effectively, you will waste this opportunity to engage your next potential customer
Direct mail is powerful marketing with both small and large budgets
Today digital communication touch points are everywhere. However there are many people who look forward to their daily mail, and spend time sorting it the day it’s delivered. It can reach people nationwide or in a small community
One of the biggest factors in planning a direct mail campaign is how much you decide to spend. Once you set a budget we incorporate your direct mail program in the campaign to stay on track and deliver your message cost-effectively. With larger budgets direct mail can be used to build brand, product awareness and drive consumers to online media. Smaller budgets should use direct mail for marketing to high value target. Encompass direct mail services nearly always saves you money over any DIY efforts. However, if you want to own your direct mail efforts here are some tips to help you along
Keep the following costs in mind when budgeting for your direct mail campaign…
- Buying or renting a mailing list
- Graphic design, content writing
- Printing and production costs
- Quality control check
- Postage and handling costs
How to save money using direct mail
- Find the most efficient size and mailing format for your product or service
- CASS certify addresses in your list
- Always use efficient address formats to reduce returns
- Develop a tracking strategy
Direct mail targeting
Direct mail can now be deployed with laser like focus. Targeting small group of prospects who are likely to respond to your offer, providing the biggest ROI. The people most likely to be interested in your product or service, they’re a lot like your current customers. Using their characteristics as a model for a mailing list is a great place to start.
- Use simple survey to learn about customers’ interest.
- Pay attention to characteristics such as age and income.
- Review your records-sales slips, invoices, delivery information to figure out buying habits.